STEPS Theme 2 - Big Data Science in Exploration and Production
Big data is a growing challenge throughout all industries, and Exploration and Production is no exception. Disparate, diverse and ever-growing geologic datasets are readily accessible across multiple platforms and now, more than ever, need to be utilised in ever-shortening time frames.
This year’s research theme will focus on how we can overcome the ‘Four V’s’ — volume, velocity, variety and veracity — of Big Data, to make efficient and comprehensive interpretations of the subsurface.
The 2017/2018 'Big Data' projects cover a diverse range of issues and each require a multidisciplinary approach to the solution — be that a geologic interpretation of the development of a new workflow. Student geoscientists and data scientists interested in the E&P industry will benefit form these projects by;
- Experiencing real-world data
- Utilizing large and disparate datasets
- Defining a methodology to resolve an issue or make an interpretation
- Working within the cloud environment
- Gaining experience with industry standard computer applications
- Receiving guidance and support from industry professionals